Hospitality is one of the fastest growing areas in the Seattle area. Join an exciting, demanding, professional culinary class and prepare for careers as a personal chef, catering operations, restaurant, baking, and food service. Advanced training includes food preparation, culinary arts and food presentation, safety, sanitation, job shadowing, career skills including catering events, and preparation for industry education.
Showcase your interests, talent and learning in this exciting, fast paced 'hands on' class under the direct supervision of a professional chef. Discover the fun of making wonderful, outstanding food, learning marketable skills while preparing for careers in hospitality, tourism, restaurant management, food service, baking, banquet and catering service. This program is a lab based study of culinary, chef training and food production skills.
Location: Rainier Beach High School
Culinary Arts Students in Action!
Through a lab-based study of cooking techniques and related culinary arts, students explore topics that include instruction in food preparation, recipe and menu planning, supervised training as the kitchen assistants, management of food supplies and kitchen resources, aesthetics of food presentation and design, introduction to hospitality industry, sanitation and safety, applicable regulations, equipment operation and maintenance, and principles of food service management.
The course requires participation and work site experience both in school and community settings.
- 2 semesters, 1.5 credits per semester
- 1.5 Occupational Ed credits
- Additional 2nd year advanced study/internship possible for limited number of interested and qualified students who passed year one with a B or better
Program Supply List/Student Costs:
- Family Health or Nutrition/Wellness or Food Science or Pro Start 1A and/or 1B,OR Summer School only: INTRO to Culinary Arts
- Washington State Food Handlers permit (online approx. $10) within the first two weeks of class
- Family Medical Insurance or student accident insurance required
- King County Health Department and American Culinary Federation standards
- $80 non-refundable fee will defray costs for required course activities, assessments and memberships, along with one professional uniform and working uniforms and an 'instant read' professional thermometer.
- Students responsible for hair restraints, black slacks, calculator, black shoes (non-skid), black socks, and required uniform for servers
- Chef, Sous Chef, Cook, Baker, Caterer, Restaurant Manager, Server, Host/Hostess, Cashier/Sales, Dietician, Line Cook, Pastry Chef, Restaurateur, or Small business owner.
Summer School Opportunity: Intro to Culinary Arts
Learn various cooking techniques during hands-on food production labs. Increase your knowledge of the culinary industry, learning about various occupations within this broad area.
Locations: Ballard, Rainier Beach, Roosevelt and West Seattle high schools.